- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 sleeve saltines finely crushed
- 3/4 cup roasted peanuts finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grape jelly or jelly of choice
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, extending it over the sides.
- Use a double boiler to melt butter, stir in the sugar and cocoa. Whisk in the egg until the mixture is warm and the consistency of hot fudge, approximately 6 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Mix in the saltine crumbs and peanuts.
- Press the crust into the pan. Set aside the saucepan of water to be used for the glaze.
- Spread jelly over the crust in the pan; place in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Beat 5 tbsp, plus 1 tsp butter, peanut butter, and confectioners' sugar with a mixer until light.
- Spread butter and sugar mixture over the jelly layer; return to the freezer while you make the glaze.
- Using a double boiler again, place the chocolare and the reamaing 2 tbsp butter in a glass bowl and set over the pan of simmering water and stir until the chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth.
- When cool but still runny, spread the glaze over the chilled peanut butter layer. Freeze for another 30 minutes.
- Use the foil flaps to remove the bars from the pan; cut into squares while still cold.
- Serve cold and keep leftovers refrigerated.