Very Vegan Peanut Butter Jackfruit Chili
Recipe courtesy of the National Peanut Board
- 2 teaspoons oil
- ½ large white onion
- ½ green bell pepper chopped
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can green jackfruit drained and chopped
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- cornbread (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- cinnamon rolls (optional)
- Heat large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add oil, onion and peppers; cook 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder and tomato paste, stirring to coat. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, then stir in crushed tomatoes, whole tomatoes, water, kidney beans and jackfruit; bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve with cornbread, tortilla chips or cinnamon rolls, if desired.